Tuesday, September 20, 2011

We have a crawler!

To follow up on my last post, I did actually get up and get in a workout with Jillian Michaels... she kind of kicks your butt when it comes to working out! It's not just one move, it's two or three in one. Needless to say I was a little sore the next day, but that good sore that I miss from my days of running and being an "athlete." I've done it three times total, which is an accomplishment for me... I'm not a video girl, as I've written before!
I'm not the only one working out around here anymore! Grace up and crawled over the weekend! I really do mean up and crawled. We had been working with her constantly for about the last month or so, trying to get her to start at least scooting. She would have none of it; just me trying to put her legs and arms in crawling position produced a minor meltdown. Then, over the weekend, we kept trying with her and she let us this time! Slowly, over about two days, she took a couple crawl steps and by Monday morning, she had it down. I couldn't believe how fast it all happened, though everyone had shared their kid's crawling experiences in the same way... one day they were just hanging out, the next they were on the move. It's amazing how the little human brain and body grow and develop. Being a mom is so much fun!
Crawling isn't considered a developmental milestone anymore because there are many kids who don't crawl, they either scoot, or just go straight to walking. Daniel was a walker, I believe my MIL mentioned that he may have crawled for about a day and then just sped off walking. I would not have minded if Grace had decided to do this, however there are some studies correlating not crawling with reading and handwriting difficulties down the road. It has something to do with using the right and left side of the brain simultaneously to do such things as crawling and reading. So, if Daniel and I could teach her to crawl (despite her protesting) we could maybe avoid difficulties down the road.... or at least we could say that we tried if she does end up with some difficulties. Either way, it paid off, though I'm sure Grace would have figured it out herself given the time.

So, we have another leap and Grace really seems happy with herself and her new found mobility... now it's time to baby proof this house!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, she's on the move! Watch out Opel! And you, my dear...you work it! I wish I could do a hard workout, I miss that feeling of "the burn". Soon enough, I'll be back in action and not huffing and puffing around the block while walking the pups. Love you!

    ReplyDelete