We are back on Island, starting life again in Hawai'i nei. This time is different. This time is harder. This time is going to stretch us and grow us more than we have ever been stretched, and have ever grown. I know personally that this is something I will be experiencing the most; because I have the most room to grow. As a parent, you have all these expectations for yourself, almost an anxiety that constantly makes you question how you are doing, what you are doing, and why you are doing what you're doing. The next three years is going to be me experiencing and trying to navigate single parenthood. It's not something I ever thought I would have to do, and unfortunately I am not really exaggerating. Grace and Noah wake up after Daniel goes to work, and go to sleep before he comes home at night. I do have the luxury of a warm body next to me when I go to bed (most nights), which is an immeasurable luxury and something you don't realize is so important until you don't have it. So, at the end of the day, I consider it a success when the kids go to sleep happy, and Daddy is sleeping next to me.
The last six weeks has been filled with move-related stuff. Finding a house, moving in, and making it our home at the same time keeping two munchkins occupied and safe from all the boxes and sharp corners brewing around every corner. I am impressed that three weeks from our move in, I have unpacked the house completely and things are pretty much organized! This is definitely a win as I did this all on my own! I could not have done it without a couple play dates with friends, and (a little regretfully) "Frozen" the movie every day. Grace now can sing all the songs, and even act out "Let it Go," which she did for me this morning. She's a ham, it made me laugh. I've gotten back to running and it's our theme song... for four miles! I will be happy when it finally leaves popularity!
Despite the stress, the sleeplessness, and the inconsistency, there are so many happy moments during the day that I try hard not to miss or disregard. Noah's laugh and playfulness when he wants you to "chase" him. His new found interest in reading. Grace's voice as she belts out any song that comes to mind (though it's hard to get something other than "Frozen"). Her excitement at seeing her "new friends" as we hang out in our back yard and have an instant play date. The sun rises and sunsets. Man, God was showing off when he made this beautiful Island. I am thankful that I have such good things to keep everything in perspective.
Love
No comments:
Post a Comment