Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Figuring out the clutter

My house is a mess... not a little mess, but a BIG mess. There are tumble weeds of dog hair all around the place, and I can't seem to get ANY of the surfaces clean! I just rearrange to another surface and say, "I'll get to it after the kids go to bed." What really happens is that the kids go to bed and I sit my tired self down with a glass of wine and for an hour or so, try to convince myself to get up and clean. I'm also not a morning person so it doesn't work to get up before them and clean (that would be around 430 am,  before the hubs gets up... not going to happen. Ever.) So, I can sit easily and write about me not doing anything and that seems to work just fine.

 Keeping the house clean and organized is more and more a challenge as I try to deal with the long days and keeping the munchkins entertained. It doesn't help that Grace doesn't nap any more. That was an epic loss on my daily effectiveness! I feel like I have to decide... keep the house clean, or keep the kids busy. I would love to get to the point where one day a week I could do everything, but that is NOT realistic as the house becomes a MESS within hours of me picking it up. Another new aspect of my role as single-ish mom. Juggling and deciding what needs to be given attention first. Obviously, Grace and Noah are first and always for me (when daddy isn't home). They are my job and making sure they thrive and are challenged is important to me. A close second comes the house because I do believe that to have chaos in the home, whatever area that is, is not a healthy place for children to grow. To me, this includes a messy house. Clutter makes me anxious... which is probably why I feel like I'm always cleaning this place! I feel like it's a loose end that needs to be dealt with. My goal and my area of growth, is to be able to do both things. Be with the kids more and less trying to get things checked off a list. One way is going to be changing my sleep habits and getting to bed earlier. Grace's rude awakening every morning at 615 is not enjoyable if I'm not already working on waking myself up!

 The breeze today is gorgeous. I can't get enough of it and the fact that I can open the windows and turn the air off is even better. It's one of the many lovely things about Hawaii that I never tire of. When the trade winds are gone, that's kind of miserable, but those days come and go and it returns to a breezy sunny paradise. I can't even fathom snow now, even though we've only been back for just over a month! Thinking of taking the kids on a bike ride this afternoon after Noah wakes up and enjoying this awesome weather! Also tires them out so they'll sleep tonight... wishful thinking, I know!


Aloha

No comments:

Post a Comment